Wednesday 30 November 2011

Ben Day30/365 Bruxelles avec une hangover and 3 days Garmin updates

Last day in Brussels today - a bit of a slow start.. did not want to get out of bed.
Last night was probably the most impressive corporate do I've been to - not the fanciest, nor the most distinguished guets list perhaps, but simply quintessentially European stlye, flair and that certain je ne sais quoi... our dinner reception was held in an old (almost derelict) church. Champage reception with canapes - de rigeur of course. moved into dinner - pianist sat where the alter would have been, subdued lighting, circular dining tables - very simple... waiters/waitreses anticipating and taking care of everyones needs... two of the waiter, and two of the waitresses then launched into an opera whilst serving food and drinks! - it was truly a magical experience. Turns out they were from the Paris Opera and they entertained us between courses, walking around the tables for over an hour! - I was captivated. I want to eat at least once a year with folks singing opera bravo to Gerard and Kathleyne for coordinating and organising such an impressive, memorable evening. (quite randomly Nicky - the last time I saw the Paris Opera was in the Sahara this year! turns out for £4,000 the four of them will sing over dinner for an hour!)

anyway - a wonderful evening lead to a somewhat inevitably slow start this morning! I woke up early, head pounding, laid in bed for another hour wondering if I could somehow sneak a run at lunchtime intead, or before I had to leave for the airport to fly home this evening, all good ideas until I realised I'd have no where to shower afterwards, so out I staggered into the early morning commute in downtown Brussels. I ran the reverse route of what I'd done the evening before.. by the end of the run I was quite enjoying it again...

It's been wonderful running in Brussels - welcome variety and nice to explore new parts of the city. Look forward to future running opportunities in other countries. Right now, Marg and I have a date in Fort Lauderdale in the new year - I've already been in contact with a FL running group to arrange a run one evening Marg - they've said we can join them around the canals!!

Ben Day28/365 - Garmin
Ben Day29/365 - Garmin
I like this Garmin record - on the far right hand side of the route, you can see the slight double back I had to do when I ran through the US Embassy securty cordon! the actual location is off by perhaps 10-15 feet, but the detour is in there - this will make me smile for a few more weeks!

Ben Day30/365 - Garmin

2 comments:

  1. I believe the Paris opera were pretty good! Didn't hear too much from where I was crawling in the Sahare! Do the ABPI not apply to Eli Lilly?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. internal meeting dear, internal meeting!

    ReplyDelete