Thursday 17 November 2011

Ben Day17/365 - gonna need a bigger boat!

Ben Day17/365 - Garmin
To quote Richard Dreyfuss! - frantically dashing about this evening, getting back from the office in Basingstoke  - a 2 hr commute ;-( A check to make sure if wife is collecting Oliver from golf at school collecting Neela from nursery then taking Oliver to Beavers.. allowed me 25 minutes to go for a run in the pitch black before I had to collect Oliver from Beavers, teeth, jarmies, read him stories and then dash out to buy wine before having a friend of Anusha's over for dinner tonight - that's all on top of leaving the house at 5:30 am this morning to drive over to Sandhurst to pick up a duet piano stool I won on EBay (16 quid versus 200 new!) before heading to office!
The reason for the bigger boat is that I realised my Petzl Tikka headtorch isn't up to the task anymore - stayed on the cycle path near the house and kept a sub 8 min/mile pace which I was happy about. Petzl woefully inadequate. Think I need this beast instead that some orienteer friends were using on Druids!
(how much?!)
Granddaddy of all Headtorches!

Realised that my gait has altered slightly too - I'm sure it's now more efficient (through necessity!) but I'm hitting much more mid-foot rather than heel these days - almost keeping the knee fixed, the foot flat and the calf loaded on impact.. very interesting, but am sure it's much more efficient than heel striking. Now, if I start flexing my pelvis when I run, I think I'll have turned into the gazelle I aspire to be!

Tonight was the first time I really realised that this challenge for me at least may not be about the mechanics of running every day - it's about building the time for it, in an already busy schedule... if I'm going to be doing more running in the dark and I don't want to be restricted to flat cycle path type running then I may have to get my wallet out!

In other news - I think I've found a supplier for our t-shirts that will sell them to us for <£20 each (before screen printing costs) which is great!

2 comments:

  1. Cant find my MdS petzl tikka from MdS so running in pitch black at mo as hand torch totally inadequate! Just checked out the torch who had link too - looks strong enough to bring down an airliner with price to match!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - 360lumens is it abit silly. this one is a whole lot cheaper and comes in at something like 140lumens which might be just the ticket. Cheapest I can find on the web is on Amazon.
    http://www.mightcontainnuts.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=215_267&products_id=702

    ReplyDelete