Friday 11 November 2011

Tony Day 22/365 - 6.88km Pollok Park Loop - looking at the comparison in data between the Garmin 410 and Garmin fit for the iPhone on the same run

Last night I called newcomers to the challenge Marg and Brad Curtis in Indianapolis to discuss the finer points of starting running every day for a year! Marg came up with a fantastic idea that we could use the new Garmin app for the iPhone to validate her runs instead of investing in a very expensive watch. As a typical sports scientist I needed to prove that the two recorded the exact same data and give reliable results.
Below are two recordings of the same run. One via the tried and tested Garmin 410 and one with the app fro the iPhone.
Day 22/365 - 6.88km Pollok Park Loop (Garmin 410) by tcfitness at Garmin Connect - Details
Day 22/365 6.89km Pollok park Loop (Garmin Fit for iPhone by tcfitness at Garmin Connect - Details
As expected from Garmin the results are identical (I stopped the app after I stopped the run). The iPhone app exports all the same info onto Garmin connect as would be expected. There is no need for the additional ANT+ stick as the iPhone transmits direct to GC. The only worry I have about the app is that the timing graph is erratic and doesn't make any sense as the splits mirror up with the watch.
Anyway - I think this is a great prospect as we can now recruit additional run365challenge runners without the requirement of purchasing the expensive Garmin watches.
So I think I have chatted enough about this!
As for the run - I went out to smash a 5km after yesterdays short slow run - I got a 5km in about 22min which is very slow compared to what I would do fresh but is faster than I have been running tempo runs in the past couple of weeks.
Keep on running!!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for doing the validation Tony. I also noticed the erratic pace chart. I have never seen one before. What are they meant to look like? All the best. Marg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you check out the pace chart from my watch you can see that I kept a steady pace throughout. As for the rest of the data its quids in!!

    ReplyDelete