Sunday 27 November 2011

Ben Day 27/365 - Belmont Hill in Pitch black

Ben Day 27/365 - Garmin

I've decided that running through a forest in the pitch black is still spooky even with a floodlight strapped to your bonce. It was deathly quiet through the woods... absolutely nothing stirring - not even bats!  - up a short track to the great Redwoods that announce the start to Lord Wraxalls old estate - he planted them in the 19th century after bringing them from the US (apparently) - this guy (and his family) didn't do too badly - they made millions importing bat guano (merde) from Peru into the UK... this was his place, about 1.5 miles from home,  up until recently (he snuffed it about 6 years ago):
Lord Wraxall's old place

Must be getting fitter - I burned past the usual spots where I need to stop to cough a lung up for another 100m (uphill I hasten!) each time.. very satisfying - or maybe it was just being spooked about being in a thick wood bymyself in pitch black that kept me running longer than normal - then I remembered my military training and the number of times I've been up to my eyeballs in the pitchblack with a grin on my face (and being paid for it!) and felt a lot better thinking no other nutter would be out in the freezing cold in the pitch black (dressed all in black) at this time of night! never saw any eyeballs from animals staring back at me either - which is probably a good thing to be honest!!

Good to see Tony is back after an illness.. lead on my liege!!

I'm in Brussels tomorrow until Wednesday night - so my next three updates (when I get home late Wednesday evening) will all be from runs in Brussels!

Great to see everyone getting out of their comfort zone and the highs and lows and the camaraderie we're building between folks who've not yet met and the practicalities of trying to run everyday!!

BB


2 comments:

  1. I didn't know you are ex forces? Explains why you are a nutter!!
    PS are you sure you are not mixing up Zoes rear with mine? Memory does fade after a while when one gets on in years!!!!!
    Enjoy Brusserls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in the TA for a while at University! my claim to fame is that I was invited by my CO to try for SF when I left... I was well chuffed, but no way I was joining the SAS!

    ReplyDelete