Monday 28 November 2011

Ben Day 28/365 Brussels- Royal Palace and gardenS

You know you're in the 21st Century when you're in the hub of all things Europe (Brussels), you're using the latest 3G technology, when you can receive email and texts but not send them, when your statei-of-the-art corporate laptop won't alow you to blog like your CEO
Here goes:
Well today constitutes the summation of 4 weeks of running every day and what better way to celebrate than to be welcomed to Brussels by sunshine! I must have been to this city over 50 times in the last 10 years and not once has the sun been able to pierce the usual grey, muggy, rainy cloud riddled skies!! Well hurrah indeed. Dumped my bag in the hotel (just next to Grand Platz) quick change and straight out to the Royal Palace and gardens (after checking directions with bellboy on the door (en francais naturellement!).

The first time I ever came to Brussels was on Eurostar with Anusha for a weekend away. Eurostar had just opened; it was the weekend Princess Diana died :-( It rained then too. Brussels was so impressive to this young couple that we headed to Bruges as soon as we figured out the rail network!

I'm so glad I gave Brussels the benefit of the doubt; every time I come here I find something new and here in the centre it really is beautiful. It claims to be Europe's greenest capital with 11% of the central area given over to parkland, though it doesn't feel like it to me.

Run today took me through the city's largest park (only a 0.75mile circuit around the park itself?) , over near a plethora of embassies and fine period buildings and cobbled roads. A nice elevated position overlooking much of the city with the sun behind me as I headed back to Grand Platz. And what finer way to end a sunny afternoon with a great run and a pint of Jupiler in the Platz itself.


Cheers!
B

3 comments:

  1. Pollok park is about 2mile round!! I think that Glasgow is one of the greenest capitals in the EU but will check this out!!
    Great to find out what actually happens on these corporate sponsored trips away!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a nice dayin Brussels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This particular is usually apparently essential and moreover outstanding truth along with for sure fair-minded and moreover admittedly useful My business is looking to find in advance designed for this specific useful stuffs… IPO Result in Bangladesh

    ReplyDelete