Sunday 13 November 2011

Ben Day11-13/365 Druids Ultra - Garmin updates

Ben Druids Day 1 Garmin - 29 miles
Ben Druids Day 2 Gamin - 26 miles
Ben Druids Day 3 Garmin - 28 miles

Hi everyone - finally back home safe and sound after a somewhat gruelling few days running along the Ridgeway - a 5000 year old pagan walkway in the Southern middle bit of England. Stunning route, scenery, rolling hills (some rather large). Thanks to Tony for updating the blog a little on the back of some tired and garbeld texting from me. Day 2 was a toughie as expected. Very pleased with a sub-5h marathon time on Day 1 though, given the terrain and pack I was running with. Day 2 sucked it out of me and was just glad to grind it out and get it over with. Day 3 (today) went quite well, though for the first time ever when I crossed the line I was seriously on the edge of vomiting - nice! (when I was vomiting in the Sahara I was no where near the finish line so that doesn't count!). My target for today was to hit 20 miles in under 4 hours and I passed the mark at 3:57 which mentally was a huge boost. I bonked a bit earlier today - mile 16! Will upload some photo's from the 3 day lactic acid fest in the coming days to give a flavour of what it's all about. best BB

PS - tomorrow's run will not be as long.
Some pics from the event - updated 14th Nov'11

More meat on a butchers pencil! start Day 2 - quick stretch!

Random Doggy goggles  - I think to stop her getting stung by nettles - (Marg - you're a vet, any ideas?)
(she was quite a fun dog!)
Check point - possibly on Day 1 - don't recall - getting some scran down my neck!

I'm smiling in this one - coming into CP2 on Day 3 - must have been a downhill bit!

2 comments:

  1. You never cease to amaze me Ben. Congrats on finishing the Druids run. Do you go by Stonehenge. The dog in the "Doggles" was very cute. All the rage apparently but also useful for pannus and other eye diseases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. spoke to the owners about the goggles, its because she has UV damage.....druids was awesome :-)

    ReplyDelete