Tuesday 8 May 2012

Ben Buckle (via tony curtis) Benjour Day 120 Indian Wells


on the go for the best part of 20 hours to get to palm springs in california.usual headache raging on arrival. First reaction was "wow" to the stunning scenery.. Craggy hills and desert surround an oasis basin that is Palm Springs... I wonder if there ever really was an oasis here, but if not there is now. Cab ride down to Indian Wells, US golf resort Mecca. 125 courses in this area.. Pity, it's all lost on me.
Just looking out (across golf courses) from my hotel room to hills in Joshua Tree.. This is a stunning area that I just can't help think is utterly ruined by this entirely artificial oasis built to attract golf tourists. Horrid, horrid horrid!
I wanted nothing more than to go to sleep when I got to the hotel, but dutifully donned my go-faster running apparel and went out into the evening sunshine. Chris Moon recommends running to help with jetlag.. He might be right..Had to run on meandering sidewalks.. Couldn't find a safe way of getting to the graggy hills by foot from the hotel.. Will have a chat with concierge! I kept expecting to be runover by the bluerinse brigade in their legions of golf-carts!(Heaven forbid anyone should actually use the sidewalk for walking on!)
Enjoyed the run in the end, looking longingly at the hills a short distance away. Hope the Garmin recorded it properly!

No comments:

Post a Comment