Saturday 5 May 2012

Jack: Day 15/365...New P.B!!

This morning I returned to the Glasgow Parkrun after missing out on a personal best by one second last week. Whilst I had been really happy with the performance last week I had been frustrated by coming so close to a new personal best and so I was determined to go one better this time. The sun was out again which ensured a large turnout but I managed to get a place right at the front of the start without too much bother. I felt fairly sluggish off the start and after the first kilometer I was worried that I would not be able to maintain the pace however I managed to stick with it and by the third kilometer I found my stride and was as comfortable as I could hope to be half way through a race! The course follows a route around Pollock Park and the third kilometer is a fairly steady uphill section which has, in the past, been a fair bit slower than my other splits. This morning I managed to push hard up the hill and was able to gain a few precious seconds on my pace from previous weeks. By the final kilometer I realised I was onto a quick one and I was able to pick up a final sprint to cross the finish line in 17:47. This was 10seconds faster than my previous best time! I finished 6th out of the 427 runners and was really pleased with my performance. Once again my Garmin measurements came up slightly short and so I continued for a few steady strides across the car park after the race had finished.Soon  after the run I made the journey up to Aberdeen to visit Vicki for the day before I head to St Andrews tomorrow to mix drinks at the University May Ball. I hadn't seen Vicki for a few weeks whilst she locked herself away finishing her University dissertation and so it was nice to have a shiny new PB to show off when I arrived! I am looking forward to a change of scenery tomorrow as I will wake up for my 5k in Mintlaw, Aberdeenshire.

I will update the links to my Garmin once I am back in Glasgow on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment