Sunday 13 May 2012

Benjour 125 Double header and new shoes

Marg and Charles were gracious enough to offer me a way out of my dilemma by suggesting I ran a double day - so here it is.

Ben Day 125 (1 of 2) - Cycle path
Ben Day 125 (2 of 2) - Bourton Combe

cracking day for it today - whilst in Cali I was wearing my Saucony road shoes and felt the foot twinges return... prior to that I'd been using off-road shoes since I've been trying to get off road more recently. Got around to thinking that it may well be time to change the shoes - I bought them about 12 months ago, but I guess with the mileage we're clocking up, even a little and often, still adds up. So I plunged in a bought a new pair of shoes - thought I'd try a different manufacturer and so bought some Brooks - Summon 3, and yes, I know they're a women's shoe! Thankfully (for everyone else) they're not pink (which I'd be comfortable with to be honest but..) they have a narrower fit which I prefer/need. A neutral shoe which is what I wanted, with plenty of forefoot support, so after a 5k in them the evening sun with Ollie alongside on his bike, I had no tendon inflammation pains to worry about.. happy days.

my second run of the evening was after Anusha went for hers - she's training for a triathlon at the moment, so we're quite a busy household in the evenings with the wife either running, swimming or cycling or sometimes two disciplines and then me running afterwards! I slipped on the fell shoes (trying to prepare my feet for the mountain marathons that start in a few weeks time!) and headed up Bourton Combe.. beautiful and quiet - nice and dry underfoot too, so the shoes stuck to the normally slippy rocky path like the proverbial to a blanket - reassuring and confident. I use Inov-8 x-talons which are nice and light (212g), but I see they've brought out an even lighter pair at 190 grammes... they profess to offer much more feel underfoot too - not surprised - there's almost nothing to them - may as well just paint a fellshoe sole onto the soles of your feet!

Anusha used my Garmin watch for the first time this evening - good to get some use out of an expensive bit of kit - hopefully she'll use it on the bike and swim too..


1 comment:

  1. I think we were too easy on you. You should've done 4 runs as a punishment lol

    ReplyDelete