Wednesday 9 May 2012

Jack: Day 19/365...Sore knee again!

This morning was another painful one. I seem to have developed a sharp pain in the outside of my left knee which kicks in about three strides into my run. I managed to keep it together again today and completed the 5k but it was another slow one. I am trying to run on the grass as much as possible to minimise the impact on it but I am not sure if this is having any direct benefit. The pain may be caused by my dodgy trainers and so I am hoping to replace these this weekend when I have a chance to visit a running shop and get a gait analysis done. It has been a while since I have had someone look at my running style and so this may be beneficial.

I ventured to CrossFit this evening and decided to spend some time on the foam roller before performing the WOD. I have had issues with my I.T. Band in the past and the roller had been prescribed to me then. I was shocked at how quickly my leg felt better. Whilst it was excruciating rolling it over the outside of my leg I was able to complete the WOD, which involved three sets of 400m runs (and some Power Cleans!), without any hint of pain. I will endeavour to use the roller frequently over the next week or so and see if this has a prolonged positive impact. My knee did start playing up a little again on the jog home however so I know that it is not a miracle cure! I will stick with it and see how things go. Hopefully tomorrow morning's run will be slightly less painful!

Run 19/365 by jackarnold87 at Garmin Connect - Details

1 comment:

  1. Your knee pain could indeed be down to your choice of footwear. Your gait analysis will determine your foot type to enable you to choose a suitable shoe but will also highlight any biomechanical abnormalities which may need addressing. Many Podiatry Clinics now offer gait analysis and have dedicated gait labs for analysis and orthotic fitting. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete