Sunday 19 February 2012

Nicky: Day 115/365 Endurance Life CTS Devon Mara






Met with the tent 105 crew & other ultra mates down in Devon. All of us signed up for either the Half, Mara or Ultra CTS Devon Mara.
Also a celebration of Marg reaching her 100th day, so my 100 minute challenge from her is going to be easily surpassed today!!!
Started at 0815 in what promised to be a beautiful day! First 11miles followed the coast along the coastal path. Bit up & down in places, strong headwind & generally rough underfoot. All made worthwhile by the sunshine, blue sea & stunning scenary, not to forget excellent company I was in. After CP1 it was inland on some minor roads, muddy footpaths & fields. All was good until around mile 17 when the forecasted rains hit home! Torrential/horizontal rain, squally gale force wind, extremely slippery footpaths, steep hills & even some very stingy hail. NOT NICE!!! Still, us athletes can cope as we are not made of soap!! :D
Came in after 6.5 hrs. My Garmin read 27.2 miles, other folks read 28.5m & the organisers said it was 28.5. Well who knows & who cares - I finished in one piece, did my minimal 2 miles & the challenge of 100 mins excercise. Check out my Garmin Connect page to see the profile & route. One of the photos above is of my favourite off roaders in the bin! They had so many holes in & were so soggy I couldnt bear to bring them home!!!
Ben - we missed you loads as we had a fab weekend. Looks like we will sort another one. Also looks like Kevin (Jills other half), Zoe, John & I are all up for Comrades either next year or the year after! You in?

2 comments:

  1. whichever one is the downhill one! yes I'm in. I'll start saving for it now!
    hugely envious about your reunion. I spent the morning making and decorating a wooden shield so Ollie can go to school as one of his favourite book characters this week! Great work on the ultra (anything more than a marathon remember!!) especially in the inclement weather. The coastal section really is beautiful into Salcombe. B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great effort and great shots Nicky. You are definitely the winner of my challenge!

    ReplyDelete