Thursday 16 February 2012

Charles: Day 103/365 - A short hobble today

The hip has been really sore all day and I've struggled to walk let alone run but I'd been taking ibuprofen and paracetamol to try and ease the pain. The pain eased a wee bit by lunchtime so I did a very slow 5k hobble on an easy flattish route.

I have also tried to get an appointment with a physio to get advice but I couldn't find anybody that could see me at such short notice. I emailed a physio that organises our Monday night running club and she got back to me suggesting that it might be down to a tight ITB muscle that has put a strain on the hip and is apparently quite a common running injury. She also suggested to keep taking the ibuprofen and to use cold compresses to reduce the swelling and also to do some stretching exercises that will stretch the ITB. Tonight is going to be a very painful night as I use my foam roller log to self administer some physio by lying on the floor and rolling my leg on top of the log using my own body weight to compress the muscle. This is equivalent to a physio massaging the muscle and as you can imagine it is a very sore exercise!

The details of my run can be found at Day 103/365 challenge

2 comments:

  1. sharing the pain - not ashamed to admit when I last had ITBS, I shed a few tears when the phsyio did a number on my leg with her elblow and thumbs(!)- no blubbing mind, just silent tears... suck it up Charles old bean, with you all the way - this is what beer is for!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mega ouch! The wife has just pointed out to me that I have huge bruises and swelling on my hip. I would put photos up but it wouldn't be too nice showing naked bits of my big bum :)

    ReplyDelete