Sunday 11 December 2011

Ben - Day41/365 - Leigh Woods

rubbish rubbish rubbish!
Ben Day 41/365 - Garmin
headed over to Leigh Woods this afternoon - I'd spied a gully leading off the main path earlier in the year and I wanted to go explore it - BIG mistake! Steep descent - slippy muddy, wet leaf litter and marbly rock underfoot  - how I didn't face-plant into rock I don't know - popped out at sea level next to River Avon where the slave ships used to sail from in Bristol before  heading over to Brazil, W.Indies and then latterly, the US. (river is tidal at this point).  Knew I didn't want to run alongside the Avon, so headed back straight up the hillside - it must have been a 1:2 incline - wasn't long before I was gasping and wheezing like a 40 a day addict... - suffice to say I've not been on this bit before and just before the cliff top (the bit that overlooks the bridge) I found a wonderful little grotto hollowed out, cave like, from the soft rock just under the main viewing area - cracking view of the bridge too.
after that lung buster it all went downhill prety quickly - it's reasonably level on top, just muddy and a big of clag... but I must have stopped about 7 times over 3.4 miles... left feeling pretty miserable.
I think with hindsight, all the running about I did with Oliver this morning on his cyclo-cross race and then missing lunch and then thinking I could crawl back up a steep gully and not pay the price - I was being a bit optimistic - either that or I'm just WEAK!!!

Oliver was pipped on the line for first place this morning - a great race - 2 laps of a long uphill course - he joined the ranks for the Junior and Senior cyclo-cross proper today - he had to carry his bike up some steps as one of the obstacles on the lap!
I love this second photo - he looks nearer 16 rather than 6!

Back over to Bath Uni tomorrow - so looking forward to running the skyline in reverse now I know where the route goes!

4 comments:

  1. Lovely piccies! Why didnt you wear your Garmin chasing Oli around or are you just a total sucker for punishment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. all valid points! Might have to start wearing it every where!

    ReplyDelete
  3. is that the new jacket???
    WELL DONE OLLIE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. not the new jacket - I'm now wearing that everyday though - this is the Kamleika race smock from OMM since the weather was wet this morning and was threatening a deluge (didn't come)- can't touch the Ashmei for breathability though - nothing can and lord knows I've either tried or bought most everything else looking for the best set up I can..
    Ollie knackered and lookng forward to end of term on Friday!

    ReplyDelete