Sunday 10 June 2012

Jack: Day 50/365...A Personal Best!

Today marked my 50th day of the challenge and it feels like a good milestone. Fifty consecutive days of running   has left me feeling the fittest I have ever been. Waking up this morning I definitely felt fit but there was a slight element of doubt lingering in my mind. I was unsure whether the lack of rest days would leave my legs fatigued at all and thus have a negative impact on my speed. It was whilst considering this question that I decided to have another crack at Parkrun this week. Having taken the last month or so away from Parkrun it had been a while since I had attempted a fast run and so it would be interesting to see how I would fare. I got up early to have my standard 'pre-race' breakfast of porridge with banana, honey and flaxseed and made my way to Pollock Park. It was a warm day today and a big turnout ensured that the start was fairly congested. I managed to get away without too much hassle although I was slightly delayed in the starting of my Garmin. This meant that my watch would read my time as a second or two faster than my official time however there was not much I could do about it! With the knowledge that my previous attempt at this course had seen me record a P.B. of 17:43 I was aiming to come in as close to this time as possible. A strong start left me in third position after the first kilometre and I realised with a bit of a panic that I was ten seconds ahead of my previous P.B. When I completed the second kilometre in a similar split I realised that I was definitely on target for a new record, it was simply a matter of how much time I could shave off it! I completed the run in third place and my watch read 17:04 as I crossed the line. I was delighted with this as I knew that I had knocked a sizeable portion from my previous record however I was slightly disappointed when my official time came through at 17:10. Whilst this was a time which I would have been absolutely chuffed with prior to the race commencing (it was still a full 33 seconds faster than previous record!), I could not comprehend how my watch was a full 6 seconds slower than the official time. Nevermind! I am more than happy with my new personal best and I now have a good target to beat on my next attempt. I now have the daunting task ahead of me of hitting sub 17minutes. Bring it on!

Run 50/365 by jackarnold87 at Garmin Connect - Details

Once again my garmin registered the distance as just below 5km and so I had a gentle jog back to my car to bring the garmin total up to 5k.

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/glasgow/results/weeklyresults?runSeqNumber=177

No comments:

Post a Comment