Thursday 21 June 2012

Charles: Day 226 to 229/365 - The magic 1000 and what have I done!!

Mega chuffed!! I've now reached a major milestone during this challenge of running 1001.26 miles in 229 days :))

My daily average has slipped back quite considerably over the last few weeks because of dead and heavy legs. The good news is that the guy that does my sports massage has finally managed to pinpoint whats causing the problem. He's isolated the problem muscles within the calf area of both legs. The problems is on the outside muscle on my left leg and on the inside muscle of my right leg. This is purely down to my gait having changed during the course of the challenge and I'm now wearing the wrong structured trainers (Saucony Hurricane 13). The recommendation is to get my gait analysed at a proper running shop and to buy corrective running gel insoles that cushion you from the impact of road running.

What have I done!?? I've finally gone and signed up for the Edinburgh Marathon on the 26th May 2013 so I better think seriously about training plans and losing a couple of stone in weight :)

The details of my runs are:

Day 226 - was with the running club and I was asked take the beginners group (as I'm a 'trained' jog leader). Bit of a change for me as I usually take the advanced group and we do 10k at 54 minute pace. This group was to be an easy jog between 5 to 6km with walking. I really enjoyed the gentle pace but had to do a lot of fast running to go between the back markers and the ones at the front so I used it as a part speed session for myself.

Day 227 - was the jogScotland 5k challenge in Peebles. I felt a bit heavy legged so couldn't run as fast as I wanted but I still managed to finish in 23rd place and got another medal to add to my collection.

Day 228 - mega ouch during this this run because it was about 30mins after my sports massage and I could barely walk let alone run. This has to be the toughest run physically that I've done and it was a fairly easy course. Pleased to finish it without stopping.

Day 229 - felt a hell of a lot better than yesterday. It was also pissing down with rain but it was the best I've felt in weeks. I'm hoping that the sports massage has finally sorted the dodgy leg muscles out but I need to get my running gait checked before I can start to improve my running again before my next half marathon in Glasgow in September.

The details of day 226 can be found at Day 226/365 challenge
The details of day 227 can be found at Day 227/365 challenge
The details of day 228 can be found at Day 228/365 challenge
The details of day 229 can be found at Day 229/365 challenge

1 comment: