Saturday 28 April 2012

Jack: Day 8/365 ...Parkrun!

After completing a full week of getting up early and running 5k on my own I was very excited about having a chance to push the pace up and run with other people. I managed to avoid having a beverage last night whilst watching Team America with the guys from Uni and got a decent nights sleep in ahead of this mornings Parkrun. The beautiful weather meant that the turnout was the largest I have seen with 439 people taking part. They had even run out of parking spaces in the car park meaning people were having to pull up on the grass beside the start line. With such a large turnout I was looking forward to a good level of competition and I was not to be disappointed. I managed to start right at the front and had a good battle with a man in a Motherwell AC running vest. Throughout the run we kept jostling for position but he managed to lose me with about half a kilometre to go. My official finishing time was 17mins 57secs, frustratingly one second off of a course PB, however I was pleased with the performance and felt strong throughout the run. I am assured that the route was measured at five full kilometres and that my Garmin reading will have come up slightly short because of the routes twists and turns and also its being run mainly under tree cover. The reading I got suggested that the run was 4.9km and so I made sure I did a brief jog at the end to ensure that I had covered the full 5k that I had committed to. I am off to the cinema tonight to watch the new Avengers movie and so I might treat myself to some sweets for the film! I think they are well deserved after this week!

Run 8/365 by jackarnold87 at Garmin Connect - Details
http://www.parkrun.org.uk/glasgow/results/weeklyresults?runSeqNumber=171

3 comments:

  1. fantastic effort Jack. good skills. Crank out those PB's every 50 days! hats off! BB

    ReplyDelete
  2. 7th out of 439. That is amazingly good!!

    ReplyDelete