Monday 30 April 2012

Charles: Day 175/365 - HOKA Highland Fling

The day had finally arrived! The HOKA Highland Fling Relay as part of Team 'Wobbly' TryAthletes

I had been dreading this run for weeks and weeks because I had been suffering from some serious hip injuries on and off for the last 73 days and wasn't in the best of shape to run my 12.6 mile leg from Milngavie to Drymen. I had only averaged just over 5k per day for the last 3 or 4 weeks and wasn't sure if I was up to the challenge.

The route was very muddy, slippy and very rough terrain in sections but I think I got of lightly with the easiest section. I was doing fine until about the 13/14 km mark and just ran out of strength and energy. I still managed to do my 12.6 miles in 2hrs and 7mins but was really pissed with myself because I wanted to get under 2hrs. The Garmin had a few problems trying to keep a gps signal because some of the route was through some forest so the overall length shown on the garmin is about 1k short of the actual distance.

All in all, Team Wobbly covered the tough 53 mile course in 10hrs and 1min and placed 40th out of 56 teams. I loved the event and the atmosphere. It was even better that I met Tony before the start and the finish (even though I dread the video diary he was recording!). I didn't get a chance to meet Karl at the event but I see that he put in a fantastic time. Apart from Tony and Karl, I knew 2 others doing the whole event and it gave me an inspiration to train to do a marathon and/or ultra next year!!

Some pics to follow in a separate post...

The details of the run can be found at Day 175/365 challenge

1 comment:

  1. Will be great to see your name on an ultra entry list soon :-)
    Shame we didn't meet. Next time Charles.

    ReplyDelete