Tuesday 28 May 2013

Day 317-324 by Sallycinn


Edinburgh Marathon - wow - what an amazing weekend.  This has to be one of the best weekends of my life.  Loved the city, the people, the pasta dinner with Nicky, Sue and Charles (any my parents and Michelle), the actual marathon itself and definitely the post mara refreshments!  Still quite overwhelmed with it all!  Can't wait for the next one. :)

A few minimums before the mara...
Last run with my club .. nice and easy
Day 317 4 M by Sallycinn at Garmin Connect - Details
minimums
Day 318 by Sallycinn at Garmin Connect - Details
Day 319 by Sallycinn at Garmin Connect - Details
Day 320 by Sallycinn at Garmin Connect - Details
Day 321 in Edin by Sallycinn at Garmin Connect - Details
Day 321 by Sallycinn at Garmin Connect - Details

The day finally arrives. I'm with my mum and dad and they walked down to the start with me which is only 10 mins away.  It was such a great atmosphere I felt quite emotional and even shed a tear!!  I know, but it's an emotional moment just before setting off on a run I have trained for, for over 4 months.  You'll see that my log is only for 22 miles - phone died.  I think it's because I used it for music after mile 10.  I wanted to save it for around 22 miles (Nicky's advice) but it started getting hard early on probably due to the heat so I plugged in and unfortunately used up all the juice!
Anyway, my miles got a bit slower from mile 22 onwards and I came in at 5 hours 48 secs.  A PB of around 14 minutes. With hindsight I would have gone off a little slower and do a negative split.  But hindsight is a wonderful thing.  Roll on the next one! But loved every single moment - even the last 4 miles!!

Day 322 Edinburgh marathon by Sallycinn at Garmin Connect - Details

A few pics...
Pre mara pasta dinner with Nicky, Sue, Charles and our loyal supporters - Michelle and my Mum and Dad.



Feeling happy and relaxed before the start! :)


Soon got my head down - this is at the end...don't think I've ever dug in so much.  Now I really understand what it means.


Post mara refreshments! Best glass of wine EVER!


The next day - did a mile with my Dad round Edinburgh.  It was slow and a bit hobbly but actually felt better at the end.
Day 323 - the Day After !! by Sallycinn at Garmin Connect - Details
Min. mile today. Was going to go to the running club but my legs screamed noooooo!! So I didn't! :)
Day 234 by Sallycinn at Garmin Connect - Details

Phew ... all up to date.  Not long to the end now. Mixed emotions.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your run and what a great blog.

    It was great to meet you and your mum and dad.

    I'm seriously thinking of the new forest marathon so might see you there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Charles. It was great meeting you and Michelle too. Hope you do enter New Forest as it'll be fun to all run it. It is a bit hilly though which I'll need to prepare for!! But it comes down to experience and the more we run the better we'll be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mind the hills as long as I know about them cos I stay in a very hilly place.

    I need to do another marathon soon to get rid of those nasty marathon demons :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charles & Sally - I have done New Forest mara twice & its FAB!!! Really pretty and yes undulating but nothing too horrendous! Really lovely medal too. Enter asap as it fills super quickly. PS Sally love your pics - very happy smiley Sally!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Sally, that's one hell of a PB, good on you, as for New Forrest LOVE IT !!! one of my favorite marathons. Lovely pics nice to see you all enjoyed yourselves.

    ReplyDelete