Monday 27 May 2013

Charles: Day 146/365 - A disappointing run in the Edinburgh Marathon

Edinburgh Marathon
I was so looking forward to this event as it was my first marathon and my training had been going really well up until about 3 weeks ago when I had a bad 20 mile training run and it was okay again after that.

On the morning of the run I was really 'Up for it' but I got to just before the half way point and died. All the energy sapped from my legs and they felt dead. When I tried running again I had nothing in the tank so I had to slow jog and walk the rest. I had set myself a time of 4:30 but in the end I did a very disappointing 5:26. I can go over and over things in my head to try and work out what went wrong but I have no absolutely idea what happened. The one thing I do know is that I won't be relying entirely on energy gels to get me through the next marathon. I will be taking something solid to munch on the way round and it won't be jelly babies or jelly beans, I think bananas might be a better option to replace some of the electrolytes and potassium I lose.

I am totally gutted and disappointed with myself because I know a 4:30 is well within my capabilities. I am currently considering withdrawing from this challenge to allow me to concentrate on my Dopey Challenge in January 2014 (www.rundisney.com/disneyworld-marathon/). I have a lot of hard thinking to do over the next few days and weeks but will keep you all posted.

Run details - Day 146/365 challenge - Edinburgh Marathon

No comments:

Post a Comment