Monday 27 May 2013

Jack: Day 340/365...Edinburgh Marathon!

Today was the big one. After 339 days of continuous running, this was the big one. My return to Edinburgh after four years of waiting. In 2009 I collapsed a few hundred yards short of the finish line. I had been pushing for a sub 3hr marathon but, unfortunately, I had pushed too hard. This year I was desperate to put that failure to rest. My training had been pretty good but I was very concerned about my foot. I have been able to do my daily 5k's but the ache has been pretty consistent. I couldn't help but worry that it would deteriorate over the miles. My preparation was good and my brothers and Ellie were up to support, along with my parents and Vicki. We had an awesome pasta dinner together on Saturday night and then I made my way to Doug's flat to spend the night there. A good night's sleep followed and I awoke raring to go. I knew that I wanted to be at the start line early and so I made my way there for 8:30...The race started at 9:50. Having said goodbye to my support crew I took some time to contemplate the challenge ahead and get myself focused.

When the gun was fired I eased away and made a real effort not to get caught up in the fast early pace. My target was to average 6:45 minute miles for the first half and then try to push on slightly in the second. My first couple of miles were a little fast although I felt incredibly easy and really did make an effort to slow down! At 10 miles I was about a minute ahead of target and I spotted my family in the crowd. I felt as fresh as a daisy and this was boosted by the incredible cheer that I received. I passed half way in 1hr 26mins 58secs and felt very comfortable. I began to gain confidence in my ability to achieve sub 3hrs although I was still terrified that my foot could pack in at any minute.
By 16 miles I was starting to slow down. I could see the seconds slipping by on my Garmin and Ii could feel my legs slowing. Each step was becoming more laboured and I wondered whether I had become too confident too soon. I necked an energy gel sachet and the last of my lucozade in an attempt to get some energy to my legs. Whether it was the carbs or purely placebo, something clicked and by 18miles I felt fresh again. I knew I was going to be ok and I was confident that 3 hours was in my grasp. As I passed 20miles I felt incredible. This was by far the best that I have ever felt during a race. I knew that I was going to smash my target and I felt confident enough to pick up the pace.  I spotted a few familiar faces passing the other way and then got a boost as I saw Kenny at about 24 and my dad at the 25 mile marks. Coming into the final straight I was able to sprint ahead and I overtook another runner with yards to spare! A fantastic roar greeted me from the crowd as I passed under the finish banner in 2hrs 53mins 38secs. I am a happy man!






5 comments:

  1. Brilliant!!! What's the next target, a 2:30?

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW WOW WOW!! Awesome effort & big well done. A whole hour ahead of me & I was chuffed to bits with my PB. Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant thats the way to do it, fantastic result well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats ... both feet off the ground in the last pic - that's fast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant work Jack, it must be all this running! Sub 3:00 is a real achievement, well done.

    ReplyDelete