Sunday 12 May 2013

132/365 A new shoes day by Big Kev

132/365 A new shoes day by Big Kev

Well after 132 days and on a rotation of three pairs of road shoes and one pair of trail shoes, today was the day for a change. After a couple runs over the last few weeks it was apparent that 2 pairs of the road shoes were well beyond their best. I had been hoping that they would last until my birthday, however with no days off on this challenge, the shoes as you can understand are a very important piece of kit and had to be replaced.

Therefore a journey to Easy Runner was on the cards and I was happy to catch up with Rich, who was working today to catch up on some paperwork, amongst other things. As is customary with a shoe fitting session it involves lots of boxes with the new and shinny inside and a fair amount of shoe swapping. However, today also through up a surprise I didn't expect.

After checking the wear on what is left of my Asics Nimbus, it was noticeable that I have moved from a firm heel strike, to a midfoot strike. Rich therefore suggested I try (more for the hell of it, I think) a transition shoe. Those who know me well understand that at 6'4" and 14 stone +, I am sceptical when it comes to the neutral running camp. Well, it appears I need to eat some humble pie!

Rich immediately provided me with what he thought was his best choice and absolutely nailed it. After many different pairs because of my indecision, I conceded and I am now the happy owner of some Mizuno EVO-cursoris. Go figure!!!!

The 3 miles home from the Downs were therefore a very new experience, even if the route is very familiar. Once home and a quick check over I find that I have no injuries and I had not lost any time at all, lets see what the coming weeks and months bring. Thanks Rich and Easy Runner.



www.justgiving.com/kevin-caple

Big Kev

No comments:

Post a Comment