Friday 13 January 2012

Marg: Day 65/365 Challenge - Around the block on snow and ice

I decided that I would brave the cold tonight and test out my gear. 18oF with wind chill down to 6oF which is cold but it was much less windy that it had been today and it was a really nice run. When everything is white with snow it reflects all the available light and there was a quiet eerie glow that I found very ethereal. It was still snowing but only lightly and sparkled in the light of my lamp. It was a surprisingly pleasant experience. The yaktraks worked well, however I still slipped a bit on parts where snow covered ice that had hardened during the day but nothing that made me feel like I was going to fall over. There were parts where the snow drift was thicker and harder to run but generally the snow was not too bad and some parts of the path had been cleared. It was nice to make new foot prints in the snow, as if I were going where no-one had been before! I had two layers on legs feet and arms and an extra layer on torso, balaclava, beanie gloves and a down vest. It was perfect and I stayed warm and dry without getting hot.

Day 65/365 Challenge by margcurtis13@hotmail.com at Garmin Connect - Details

2 comments:

  1. sounds like you're running in Antartica!
    hope there's plenty of sunshine next week - I'm bringing my shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please post a photo of the snow!

    ReplyDelete