Thursday 26 January 2012

Charles: Day 82/365 - Staying Positive!

That was one tough run tonight! Yes, the course was demanding but not too difficult because I've ran it umpteen times before. It was purely down too physical exhaustion and mentally feeling that I "Couldn't be ar**d". My legs were like huge big blocks of lead and I felt like I was doing an old man shuffle as opposed to running. I think I need to do a couple of slow easy minimum 5k runs to recover.

I keep saying to myself that physical pain is only in the mind and it will only hurt if you let it. Positive thinking with the help and encouragement from friends and family (especially my other half, Michelle) gets me through all the bad days and share the joys of the good days. Bring on day 83!!

The details of my run can be found at Day 82/365 challenge

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have had a day like I had last Sunday - a big fat massive struggle to run! Felt exhausted! Did 2 days of fast walking to try & recover my poor tired body & now feeling good again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charles - two camps on the pain piece I think... the one where you try to dismiss it and the one where you use it.... after many trials and tribulations I found I need to feel it and use it to overcome it - using it in that the only way it will stop hurting is to finish what you started... we've each got to find our way through it, but the mettle of the man (or woman, ladies) is shown in times like these and what you've shown so far is admirable. Back it off a few days and bounce back stronger like Nicky says (and she should know, she's probably clocked enough miles for a circumnavigation!!) you're an inspiration Charles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers guys

    I've now done about 400 miles during this challenge and
    I love the idea of the only way to overcome the pain is to finish what you started. It's definetly the way I think when out running or with anything I do in life. It's a great feeling the elation of finishing what you started when things are tough. I think it makes you stronger on the good days because you know you did it when you felt crap :)

    ReplyDelete