Saturday 21 January 2012

Ben Day 15 - Cycle path quickie and a challenge to this group

Got home at lunchtime today from Ft Lauderdale - another one of those 9 hour flight jobs, but the way the day works out means you've been on the go for more than 24 hours by the time you put the key in the door... no sleep on flight home due to lots of turbulence... I must have some inner-ear thing going on again which I need to get sorted, but I came pretty close to barfing en route.. folks sick due to plane jinking about - ac scrubbers struggling to keep up and clean the smell vomitus out of the air - nice!

I suffer quite badly with jetlag when flying East and today was no exception - nausea, disorientation, inability to string a sentence together/coherent thought etc (and no I didn't drink on the flight!!) Got home saw family and had to go to bed for an hour just so I could function for rest of day! - Wife on-call this evening and tomorrow night, maybe we'll see each other sometime in February.

I was in no state to run this afternoon, I almost threw up whilst running out on the cycle path just due to jetlag, but then a strange thing happened - about half way through everything changed and it became wonderful...nausea disappeared, legs became light and just seemed to bounce along - I think my brain has found a way to use running to supplement my melatonin levels as a means by which to circumvent jetlag - either that or I'm now just SO disoriented I don't even know which way is up!

Either way, a great week in the US - came home fired up and as keen as mustard to play with prezi.com as a team creativity tool....

I think I've found three others to join our gang - a very handy fast, ultra runner in Indy who set himself the challenge of running everyday this year anyway, A spaniard who lives in Dunblane, Scotland who uses running for general fitness, just starting out but obviously committed - and an accompllished and experienced marathon runner based over in Taiwan ... Marg I hear you talked with Steven Lin already (he confessed he runs 350 days a year already - he'll join).

So although we're a small bunch of similarly minded individuals, we've got a fantastic spectrum of nationalities and cultures embracing this thing - which really excites me personally - I'm working on a colleague in India too...

I echo Tony's challenge - lets each find one more friend to join up and maybe make that an expectation of what we do when you start the challenge, moving forward?

1. have a Garmin app/watch
2. set your personal minimum distance
3. recruit a friend to join the challenge within 60 days of you starting


Ben Day 10
Ben Day 11 - with Marg :-)
Ben Day 12
Ben Day 13
Ben Day 14
Ben Day 15 - Cycle path


2 comments:

  1. Fantastic news on recruiting new members to the challenge. I've been trying to get people to sign up since I started but sadly no takers but I'll keep trying.

    I almsost had one guy sign up but he only wanted to do Monday to Friday and to be able to run indoors when the weather was bad. I'll keep trying to convert him and others to the cause :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you convinced Steven!. I had been working on him the last couple of times we met. You are obviously better than me at "asking for the business"!

    ReplyDelete