Friday 5 July 2013

186/365 The challenge is on a knife edge. 5K by Big Kev

186/365 The challenge is on a knife edge. 5K by Big Kev

After a broken nights sleep with an aching calf, I decide to have some breakfast and brave an early run. Following the pain of yesterday's run I am not overly hopeful that this one will get finished. I appreciate I have not given it much time to rest, however time only comes in 24hr bundles for me (as it does for everyone else) and delaying the inevitable seems somehow worse than just getting on with it.

The calf is heavily strapped up and the pace is painfully slow, quite literally. However one step leads to another and another and before I dare believe it I am running. There pain though is marked and whilst I am running, I am not running the way I should or could be. I now begin to appreciate the fragility of this challenge and that something so innocuous yesterday has turned into a major drama today. I can't remember to much of the run itself beyond its a very familiar loop of Leigh Woods and that is has taken me another 5 minutes beyond the normal to complete the circuit. Once stopped the stabbing pain returns, so I shower and then ice the offending muscle. A coffee and 2 Ibuprofen later and the pain subsided enough for me to get back to work, if just a little later than normal. Who knows how the rest of the day is going to go, whilst I am going to rest it I am conscious not to immobilise it to much either.

I am resolute though that this will be just a blip along the way and if I have to run everyday in that much pain and that slowly then so be it, I am doing this for many reasons and giving up is not one of them.

Come on!

www.justgiving.com/kevin-caple

Big Kev

3 comments:

  1. Well done on running through the pain but sadly it's the first of many little niggles you'll get on the second half of the challenge

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep going Kev - you're doing so well. Hope the injury gets better soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Guys, I am still going!

    ReplyDelete