Thursday 13 June 2013

164/365 A 5K run arounds the docks by Big Kev

164/365 A 5K run arounds the docks by Big Kev

Tonights run was a real change from the normal Thursday run, after a lovely surprise guest came across for dinner. With the plans rearranged for tonight I had the opportunity to drop Katie into the city centre and then run around the docks. It was quite windy this evening which required a fair bit of effort to run in to and at every turn there seemed to be dressed up teenagers in the way, the penny then dropped and I realised it was prom night in Millennium Square. I had already decided to do a circuit around the docks (floating harbour) and set off from outside Mshed, so the place was packed. I did have tomorrow nights 10K Towpath race on my mind whilst running, so I wanted a good average pace and at least one mile at race pace. With all the weaving and dodging done and the watch stopped I was very pleased with the overall time and even more pleased with the splits, I hope I can maintain this tomorrow, if so I will be a very happy man.

The journey home made me smile as what are the odds that another major prom event would be on the same night but in a different location. Unfortunately for me that location was at Leigh Court which is opposite my road. It appeared that every taxi and minibus was heading down the drive to the mansion house, which in turn caused a major traffic jam. The reason this bites is that it took at least 20 minutes to travel less than one mile, but if I had not gone into town in the first place and just run my normal route I would have travelled over 3 miles in the same time!

Still at least the music in the car got turned up loud and I had time to unwind.

www.justgiving.com/kevin-caple

Big Kev

No comments:

Post a Comment