Tuesday 25 June 2013

Charles: Day 175/365 - Time to say goodbye to this challenge

My Last Blog

Run details - Day 175/365 challenge

I have been thinking about this for some time and after tonight's run it is with great sadness and regret that I have decided that it will be my last run on this challenge.

For anybody that knows me, I have not found this decision an easy one because I never ever give up on a challenge. I think I proved this last year (on my first round of the challenge) when I tore my hip muscle and hobbled on through great pain and discomfort for weeks on end. However, this year I have to call it a day because my legs are totally dead and I have lost all strength and speed in them.

I also have to be realistic with myself and consider my current fitness levels in that I will not be able to complete the other challenges ahead of me during the rest of this year with 1 x full marathon, 5 x half marathons, 3 x 10k's and 2 x 5k's still to go. I also have the Dopey Challenge in Disney Florida in January and 2 more marathons and numerous half marathons planned for next year. The Dopey Challenge is my main priority at the moment and there is no way I can continue to run everyday and do the necessary training that I need to put in over the next 6 months.

I thought that I would share a few stats of my meager efforts:
Total Distance: 3,879.79 km = 2411.31 miles
Total Days: 582 days out of a possible 597 days
(This is 401 days first time + 6 days during 3 weeks break + 175 days this time around)
Average: 4.14 miles per day
Total Races: 1 x marathon, 1 x 20 mile, 6 x half marathons, 2 x half kilomathons, 10 x 10k and 11 x 5k (and 2 x 5k Race for Life runs with Michelle)

I have to say that can't be too bad for an 18 stone 45 year old bald man :)

I have loved every minute of doing the run365challenge and I have made some good friends along the way. The highlight of my time must be that I have met and been out running with others that had taken up the challenge i.e. Tony, Ben, Marg, Nicky and Sally.

I doubt this is the last you'll hear from me on the blog because I'll keep reading everyones progress and make the odd comment along the way. I'm also pretty sure that I'll take up this challenge again at some point next year, after I've finished with the marathons and half marathons that I've got planned.

I wish everybody the best for rest of the challenge and will say my goodbyes.

Cheers,
Charles

6 comments:

  1. What you've done is an amazing achievement and I'm sure it wasn't easy to stop. But, it seems the right thing to do with your races coming up which mean so much to you. It was great meeting you in Edinburgh and I'm sure we'll all meet up again some time. I'm looking forward to hearing about how you get on so stay in touch. Sally x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Charles and when the body recovers sufficiently I am sure you will look back fondly on what you have achieved, even when it was painful. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Charles, major achievement x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome achievement! Keep us posted on your progress in these other challenges! Your feedback and comments this year have been incredibly motivating and definitely helped keep me motivated on this epic challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for the lovely comments. I'm currently enjoying my wee break from running, all 5 days of it. I'll be back out running on Monday with the running club and then my marathon training begins :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are simply amazing Charles. Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete