Wednesday 19 June 2013

Jack: Day 361/365...Race Day! MHFS 10km (New P.B.!!)

This morning I woke up and went through my standard 'pre-race routine'; Porridge, Boost, Lucozade and a banana. I jumped on a bus down to Bellahouston park and was impressed with the setup! 3500 people were taking part in the 10km run with an earlier 'rascal run' boosting the numbers further. I had a wander around the stalls before bumping into Kenny and exchanging tactics. My plan for sub 36 was playing on my mind. I felt that my fitness was still pretty strong but my knee problems were constantly in my head. The weekend prior to the race I was made aware of a 'parkrun-rival' of mine securing a sub 35min 10k. This got me thinking about the possibility of going even faster and I set my Garmin up for sub 35.

As the race gun fired I powered away from the start line feeling strong. I went with the sub35 minute pace and felt good. The pace was fast but I could see the kilometres ticking by. As I passed half way I was still on track and feeling strong however at 7.5km I became aware of a slight ache in my knee. The pain got steadily worse and the final kilometre was pretty brutal. I just about managed to maintain my required pace and crossed the line in 34mins 53secs. A happy (but sore!) man and a definite PB!

Before the race...

361 by jackarnold87 at Garmin Connect - Details

1 comment:

  1. Amazing work Jack and a great way to wind up to the finish, a great inspiration, well done.

    ReplyDelete