Saturday 15 June 2013

165/365 Towpath 10K another PB Whoop Whoop! by Big Kev

165/365 Towpath 10K another PB Whoop Whoop! by Big Kev

With an amazing working week coming to an end the thought of a PB after all the running efforts of the weekend before were entertained, if only fleetingly. This goal seemed to be disappearing fast as I entered the park to the start of the wind and rain! After a warm up and a catch up with friends it was already time to get to the start line. The hesitancy of my fellow runners meant that Marcus and I walked down the starting funnel first. This is the point that we normally hold back a few yards from the line to let the faster runners line up in front of us, however as Mike started the safety announcements we soon realised that no one had moved to the front and before we knew it Mike called us forward to start the race. Oh well how many times is this going to happen anyway?

With the race underway a typical Kevin start meant that the first mile was completed quick smart. The brain then kicked in and the pace settled and few runners went by, then I pushed on toward the half way mark to turn at what would also have been a 5K PB. At the turn I did realise that the momentum could not be maintained and I settled to and for a more manageable pace and just waited for the hordes of runners to come screaming past me. Well another mile in and no one came past, keep digging in Kev they must be on your heels, but agin no one came past. Come on Kev just over a mile to go they must be all waiting for a sprint finish, just hang on. Kev the line is in sight just push on give it your all, with a quick check over the shoulder and I see I have what I hope is enough of a gap between me and the runner behind, go, go, go. The line is here and no one came past and it's another all time PB 38:41, wow! Then I hear it, "well done Kev you were 16th". There must be a mistake, but no, oh my days! Then it hits me hard, not the joy and surprise, no the effort hits me, hard! Breathe, breathe hard, come on or you will be on the deck face down, breathe.

After the breathing comes the pain, then the adrenaline, then and only then the smile! 16th overall, 3rd Vet 40 and a new PB of 38:41 on day 165, BOOM!

An easier run tomorrow I think!

www.justgiving.com/kevin-caple

Big Kev

3 comments:

  1. Well done Kev.

    Great commentary of the race :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Kev - brilliant. Before you know it you'll be winning races. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, I do try to keep everyone entertained, The blog goes out far and wide, so whilst I know we all know how it feels lots of other people have no idea.

    As regards winning a race, I don't think so, the winner of the 10K was 4 minutes ahead of me, thats over a 1000m.

    Keep it up everyone.

    Kev

    ReplyDelete