Sunday 30 June 2013

180/365 Leg 4 Cotswold Relay, 12miles oh dear by Big Kev

180/365 Leg 4 Cotswold Relay, 12miles oh dear by Big Kev

The day started in a bit of a daze, with a late finish last night including a couple of pints of authentic Cider, meant that sleeping was not a problem, however getting up was! A further downside to the night before was the muggy head and the dehydration it brought with it. Still, I was able to get a bowl of porridge down and out early enough to pick Emma up on time. Once collected and driven to the start it is apparent Emma is far more up for this than I am! The temperature was lower than our last attempt at running the route, so I decide to leave the bag in the truck and just run with a water bottle instead. I then decide that it would be a good idea to break with all known common sense rules for running and consume a couple of dextro's tablets and then a Mars bar for energy, as all that sugar will obviously be good for me (muppet)! The race is under way and for the first 5 miles I am feeling fine and I am just outside the top 10. I note the pace and decide to save some for the later climbs, but still feel good. At mile 6 I note the pace lift again and go with it, I must be fine. Mile 7 provides me with some very interesting feedback on the the previous 6 miles and its safe to say that all that sugar leaves my body, head first. The pace thereafter is a little slower than I would like, but understandably so. Mile 8 is a repeat of mile 7 and I am therefore forced to revaluate my position in the race, as runners flood past. I take on some fluids and start to feel a little better, then for the sting in the tail. Mile 10 delivers the ascent of Coopers Hill (Cheese Rolling hill), followed by mile 11 and another crazy climb, but at last its mile 12 and I am heading for home, this is now far more a mental challenge than physical, mostly down to having no physical ability left.

It is done! Not as fast as I would have liked, but thats ok as it is day 180 after all and not every run can be a PB. What am I saying this is a PB as it's the first time I have run this leg. All that is left is to collect Paul and Lucy from leg 5, eat (slowly) and then attend Simon and Vee's after party, bring it on.

Thanks to all my fellow GWR participants and especially Simon, Vee and Steve for all the organising. I am already looking forward to next year, glutton for punishment or what!

www.justgiving.com/kevin-caple

Big Kev

No comments:

Post a Comment