Saturday 29 June 2013

Jack: Day 365/365...MISSION COMPLETE!

I DID IT!

I cannot believe that the challenge is over! Today I completed the toughest challenge of my life (so far). When Tony first mentioned the run365challenge to me as we sat in the box at CrossFit Glasgow I was impressed with his commitment however I did not fully appreciate the extent to which this challenge would test an individual. The difficulty was not in the distance covered, but in finding time every day to dedicate to running. The ability to find this time every single day has opened my eyes to so many possibilities. If I can find half an hour to run every day, I can do anything. I will never again be able to blame time constraints on my being unable to achieve something!

My final day was a great experience. I had not planned anything exciting for my last run. I would be working all day, Vicki was working in the evening and my mates were busy with the school prizegiving ceremony. I had just about accepted that my final run would be a solitary experience, jogging a final loop of Shawlands before cracking open a beer on my own to celebrate, when the guys at work suggested doing something different. They put forward the idea that I run before work and finish my 5k at the gates to the school. They offered to grab anyone who was kicking around before the start of the day and try to put some sort of finish line together for me. I decided that this would be the way forward.

I arrived at the school nice and early and dumped my bags in the classroom. A couple of the fellas watched me head out on my jog and I really enjoyed the run. I took it easy and reflected on the many places that I had experienced thanks to the challenge. Memories of running in South Africa exactly one year ago flashed through my mind as I pounded the streets of Paisley. What a year! As I hit the half way mark I turned and began to stride towards the school. I passed several of my pupils on the way who offered cheers of encouragement and applause. Nothing had prepared me however for the welcome I would receive as I turned the final corner. A crowd of pupils and staff lined the school driveway like a guard of honour, armed with confetti and bunting. A huge cheer erupted as I passed through the gates and took my final few steps towards the paper-chain finish line. Left speechless I was congratulated by my colleagues before the bell shattered the moment and the crowds dispersed for their morning's classes.

The morning saw another £70ish pounds raised for my charity and I spent the day feeling like a celebrity as the pupils and staff alike came to shake my hand throughout the day. I could not have asked for a better finish to the challenge and it all tied in with my final few days at the school. Great memories.

My final statistics:

Days run:                       365
Distance covered:           2,639.52km
Fastest 5km:                  16:43
Fastest 10km:                34:53
Fastest Marathon:          2hrs 53mins 38secs
Average Daily Distance: 7.23km

365 by jackarnold87 at Garmin Connect - Details

6 comments:

  1. Well done Jack, congratulations and I am glad you had a good finish. All the times you achieved especially uder 3 marathon deserve a special well done! Congrats again and very good luck for your next challenge whatever it may be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Jack!! It's amazing putting in those times while doing this challenge. I'm in total aww of your achievements. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Everyone is coming to an end. Big well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work Jack and what a wonderful way to finish, good luck with all of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations - amazing achievement. Well done. Good luck in your future challengess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing finish for you. Well done!.,

    ReplyDelete