Saturday 27 April 2013

Jack: Day 309/365...Grammarathon Day!

Today was the day of the school 'Grammarathon'. The pupils all paid a pound to wear their own trainers to school and the funds raised were split between the charities which are being represented by my colleagues and I in the Edinburgh Marathon Festival. In addition to this event we installed a treadmill in the Memorial Hall and took it in turns to run on the machine for the duration of the school day. With 6 members of staff and 7 periods through the day, I drew the short straw and was landed with running for two 50 minute periods through the day. Other staff members organised a sweepstake to predict the total distance covered and pupils donated their pennies into buckets as we ran. It was a great event and the whole school got behind us. A feature in the local paper also helped raise the profile of the event and we managed to raise almost £500 between us.

I was unable to track my individual distance on the treadmill but believe I covered approximately 23km. In order to ensure I had a record of running on this day, I ran an additional 5km once I arrived home in the evening so that I could track it on my Garmin.



No comments:

Post a Comment