Thursday 11 April 2013

Jack: Day 292-294/365...proper training.

As I near the final six weeks of my marathon training I realise the need to get some 'proper training' in. While I managed a few decent training sessions in the build up to 'The Mighty Deerstalker', my sore ankle held me back in the weeks that followed. As I have had no issue with the ankle recently it is now or never to get back on track for a decent marathon time. These three runs took place during my Easter Break and so I was able to do them at my leisure.

Day 292 was an interval session which took place over 6km. I allowed a 5minute warm up before doing bursts of 5minutes at a high speed and allowing 2 minute recoveries. I felt strong during this and I would have like to have completed more sets. Next time I will attempt a higher number of these intervals.

Day 293 was a chance for a slightly longer run. I have not really covered any proper distance in recent weeks due to my issues with my ankle. I decided to go for a 12.5 mile effort to see if everything was ok over this distance. I had no issues and managed to finish the training run in 1hr 24mins. This felt good and I felt strong at the end of the session. Very reassuring.

On Day 294 I decided to take things very easy and simply complete my 5km jog without too much intensity. The reason for this was to allow some recovery from yesterdays longer effort but also to prepare myself for an even longer run tomorrow. I have decided to have a go at a 20 mile effort tomorrow. I really need to get a couple of lengthy runs in, both for the benefit of my training but also for my own psychological benefit. Recently I have been having doubts about my ability to last the distance at the pace which I have set myself. I figure that if I can complete a long run at a fairly reasonable pace, I will feel more confident coming into the marathon itself. Only time will tell!

292 by jackarnold87 at Garmin Connect - Details
293 by jackarnold87 at Garmin Connect - Details
294 by jackarnold87 at Garmin Connect - Details

No comments:

Post a Comment