Thursday 11 April 2013

Edinburgh Marathon Tactics

So a question which I have been pondering a lot today is that of tactics for the Edinburgh Marathon. I have been listening to a lot of advice suggesting that, in any marathon, you should aim for a steady pace throughout - potentially even running a faster second half than a first half. However part of me cannot help but think I should take advantage of the fact that the first 6 miles of the Edinburgh course is downhill.

What do you think? To hit my target time I need to average 6:52 per mile splits. Do I hold myself back on the downhill and stick at this pace or do I allow the hill to push my pace up slightly so that I have a little time left in the bank for when the race flattens out...

1 comment:

  1. Jack, if it was me I would control the urge and once your over half way and still feeling good keep your pace and then after 19 miles go for it. If you go too fast at the beginning you always suffer later, even the best, just because it's down hill does not make it easier you are still using energy and I don't know about you but I would rather run up than down. Good luck whatever you do, get that under 3 !!

    ReplyDelete