Thursday 18 April 2013

Nicky: Day 244 Brighton Marathon

Nicky: Day 244 Brighton Marathon by Nicky.C at Garmin Connect - Details

My aim for Brighton at the beginning of the year was a sub 4. That was until I hurt my coccyx ice skating, and spent to much time enjoying myself on a skiing holiday & trip to Australia.
Registered on Saturday for the marathon - weather quite dreadful but forecast for tomorrow supposed to be ok. I picked up a pacing chart for the 4:15 - 4:30 running groups.
Race day up at 05:30 as had to get into Brighton to park the car before 7am due to road closures. Met up with Danny & Sorrel from club for a cup of tea pre the run. Park for the start a bit of a quagmire. Said good luck & goodbye to my friend Jane Brookhouse at the start & wished her a good race (she was feeling quite unwell so was just hoping to finish). Off I set - pretty crowded so the first 3 or so miles were spent dodging people! I found my poor old eye sight is not what it was & I couldnt actually see the times on the pacing chart. Decided to wing it & if I felt good go for it & slow down if tired. Felt fantastic for the first 18 or so miles then saw St Johns Ambulance trying to resuscitate the young lad who later died. This threw me a bit & I really struggled for the next couple of miles. At mile 20 decided to walk a bit & eat a few of the Sport bloc for some extra energy. Had also stopped twice for the loo by now. Last 6m are a bit of a blur but I felt better when I realised I had just overtaken the sub 4hr pacing group. Decided to go for it. Finished in a PB & time of 3:57:07 - pretty delighted with myself!!






1 comment:

  1. Nicky - this deserves a comment, you are amazing !! well done on yet another PB.

    ReplyDelete