Saturday 9 February 2013

Jack: Day 234/365...Parkrun

This morning I made my way back down to Pollok Park for my weekly Parkrun 5k. After last weeks event was moved to an alternative route due to poor weather, I was keen to record a decent time. A few of the guys from work made it down again which was ace and definitely helps motivate me to get up and head to the park on a Saturday morning! At the start line I was standing next to a young lad in his club vest and overheard a clubmate of his asking him if he was going to win this won. The lad looked around at the competition and replied "Yea probably!". I was outraged and decided that I would be the one to knock this guy off of his pedestal. As the announcer started us off I found myself tearing along the initial straight at a much faster pace than I would normally. I was neck and neck with my rival for approximately 500m before I realised that, actually, I could  not sustain it. He disappeared into the distance and I sat back feeling sorry for myself. I finished the race in 5th position this week which was a little disappointing but my time of 17:11 was reassuring. I had been desperate to return to running sub-17 minutes but I think I am going to have to accept that, for now, it might not happen. The focus of my training recently has been for the Edinburgh Marathon at the end of May and, as I begin to place more emphasis on the longer distances, it would seem the shorter speed work is going to suffer slightly. I will keep trying however and maybe I will surprise myself one week.

Today's records include the short run to and from Parkrun (2km each way)

234.1 by jackarnold87 at Garmin Connect - Details
234.2 by jackarnold87 at Garmin Connect - Details
234.3 by jackarnold87 at Garmin Connect - Details

No comments:

Post a Comment