Monday 25 February 2013

Karen Day 125

http://app.strava.com/activities/42244295

An easy 'rest day' recovery run of minimum distance, a bit drizzly but didn't seem as cold as it has been. Does anyone else use the 'cold bath' method to help recover after a long run? I've done it several times before and it really does work, but this time I just held a cold shower over my legs after yesterdays run for a long as I could bear and today I feel as fresh as a daisy! Worth a try if you haven't before!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Karen - I've often thought about doing the cold bath thing but never had the courage. But if it really really works, then maybe I should give it a go. What do reckon is the minimum time you should be in there for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a cold bath about once a week and a cold shower of the legs at other times. It helps remove the lactic acid build up and then the warm water helps flush the muscles with fresh blood. It does work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sally, I was recommended that time in the cold bath should only be between 3 and 5 minutes. Also, you only feel the cold for the first 30ish seconds and then you get used to it. My problem is the cold on my feet so I wear my running socks in the bath and a pair of shorts to keep the 'bits' from falling off. You really feel the cold on your legs when you get out the cold bath. You should always have a hot bath or shower straight after the cold one

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great - thanks Charles - I'm going to try it after my next long run...might wear socks too :)

    ReplyDelete