Sunday 18 March 2012

Help! I need advice on buying a running backpack with water storage.

As you all probably know, I'm doing a relay leg of the HOKA Highland Fling race along the West Highland Way. The relay legs are about 13 miles each (total distance of 53 miles) and its unsupported in terms of getting water and energy drinks along the route.

What is the best running hydration backpack that I can buy? It would preferably have a water carrier on the back and someplace to store a couple of energy bars and carry a waterproof jacket and hat and map.

I've heard about the Camelbak stuff but I've no idea what's best value for money, lightweight and won't bounce around on my back whilst I'm running. Can anybody please give me some advice?

Cheers,
Charles

2 comments:

  1. Hi Charles
    Best reviewed hydration pack, & one that a couple of my mates run with & swear by is the OMM 10litre lastdrop pack. Costs around £45 but if you do an internet search you can get them much cheaper. I have a camelbak but there is no room for storing a waterproof!
    Nicky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the last drop too - good for a one dayer ultra etc ie can take your kit and a camelback hydration system thing.

    Try two or three brands for best fit - surprising the range of fits out there - Inov8 and Aarn are useful bits of cobber, but for a 13 miler I'd also go with Nicky's recommendation. For longer stuff, there are better kit, but with a last drop you won't go too far wrong. I think you should be able to get for about £38 squids
    BB

    ReplyDelete