Thursday 24 October 2013

296/365 Up and downs on a club night 6 miles by Big Kev

296/365 Up and downs on a club night 6 miles by Big Kev

Once again I am reminded of how fragile this challenge can be. In the last 4 years since joining the club I have run down Falcondale Road a lot. I have done it in beautiful sunshine, near horizontal rain, deep snow and even black ice. There is a downhill section that is relatively dark due to the tree canopy blocking out the street lights and it was at the base of a tree whose roots have raised the pavement where this challenge could have ended.

I was running with someone (for modesty sakes they will remain nameless) who is a big supporter of this challenge and encourages me at almost every point. We had been enjoying our conversation and time we had to catch up when we reached the very point in question. This point is where we also start our descent and naturally increase our speed. All to quickly you feel a stumble and you try to catch yourself and in my case you try and catch the person falling, its too late and you hear the sound of skin against tarmac and know the tarmac is winning. Then a few uncontrolled rolls later and its finished.

It was all over in a flash and credit where credit is due, the person in question just picked themselves up and after a quick check just carried on. It wasn't until we reached our regrouping point (some 2 miles away) that we could properly asses the damage. The escape had been a relatively lucky one and beyond the dented pride, the cuts and inevitable bruises that will follow, there was no lasting damage.

With all that said though, if I had been the one running next to the tree, it could have so easily been me hitting the tarmac and I would guess that the damage could have been far worse.

I have 4 days to go until the big 300 and tonight has been a stark reminder of the need to stay focused and not to become complacent. The reason it is called a challenge is because there are going to be times of adversity and this requires help and support. Fortunately I have a lot of help and support to call upon.

So a big, big thank you to the nameless person tonight as they showed me the spirit of this challenge and also to all my family, friends and colleagues who continue to keep me motivated.

www.justgiving.com/kevin-caple

Big Kev

One final point, following the right foods and hydration all day Hangry Kev has been banished.

No comments:

Post a Comment