Sunday 20 October 2013

293/365 Portishead Half Marathon by Big Kev

293/365 Portishead Half Marathon by Big Kev

What a day, strong winds and heavy rain all night put me in two minds as to wether to take part in the event or not. As Tina rightly pointed out, a case of pneumonia might well put and end to this challenge so some caution might need to be exercised. However the curtains were drawn before day break and the skies had cleared and the wind had eased.

Therefore Tina (my rock in all this) and I set off for the registration tent in Portishead. After signing in and being given very my special 365 race number (thanks Jarad) we met up with our Honorary Big Kev's and my Big Kev's running squad.

After swapping the obligatory race day banter with friends and shivering through the warm up, we where eventually ushered to the start line with the light rain falling. The Half marathon today had got a real sting to it, in that the two lap course has a section of hill that is long and very steep. This section of hill was to be timed on the first lap and provide for a King and Queen of the hill prize. The timed section was some 350m and deserved respect, when I reached this section I could see Matt Burns from Southville gun it. Now I do like my hills, however Matt was not going to be caught and in the end this turned out to be the case as he was rightfully crowned King of the hill and by calculations Annabel Granger is Queen. For a guy not quite as young as used to be I was very pleased with my King of the hill 4th overall!

Now with one lap done including a bit of a detour near the end of it (no great drama only one place needed to be given back) we set about covering the same lap and that hill again. With my focus on this I completely lost track of pacing and just cracked on. Before I knew it I was descending Nore road once again and heading back to the Marina. A quick glance of my watch and with the gallant deed done of restoring Damien to his rightful position the race was done. Yeah done, in 1:25:00, OMG and 8th overall, BSC (a reference for my kids) and 2nd MV40, WTF!

This challenge never ceases to amaze me. How can this be so, I seem to be defying convention at every turn. Yet I know this is true as I am continuing to prove that running every day can be done. I also know this has to be right as I know of others who have completed this challenge and have demonstrated this very condition. The condition is Running Every Day syndrome or RED for short. Now when the RED mist descends there is no talking to or deviating from the task at hand, be it 5K or 13.1 miles.

I am proud to say I am a RED mist sufferer and long may it continue (well for another 72 days anyway)

www.justgiving.com/kevin-caple

Thank you for all your recent sponsorship you really are keeping me going and another Big thank you to all the honorary Big Kev's today.

The actual Big Kev


No comments:

Post a Comment