Tuesday 15 October 2013

288/365 Warm up at GWR coaching 5K by Big Kev

288/365 Warm up at GWR coaching 5K by Big Kev

288/365 9x3min efforts no stopping 6 miles by Big Kev


Running in circles (well Rectangles actually) 5K then 10K

It was a big night out for Tina and Jess tonight, they had tickets for Cats at the Bristol Hippodrome and I promised to be their taxi. As a consequence I had kept my run for the gap between dropping them off and picking them up. Just by chance the timing coincided nicely with GWR’s coaching session held at the Bristol Rugby academy site on the Portway.

I asked if it would be ok for me to warm up by just running my 5K first rather than taking part in the drills. After I was given the nod, I set off by doing laps of the field, now I have not done laps since I was at school and/or late for a rugby session. So hence the actual running in rectangles!

It was a great measure for me tonight as it has almost been a year since my last session. I have in the past had the innate ability of do myself some damage when it comes to speed sessions, so Tina had made it very clear that I had to be careful tonight. I am glad to report that I am all in one piece and I am still on track.

So after the 5K warm up I then moved up to the main session. This session consisted of 9 x 3 minutes efforts with 1 minute 15 second recovery. I made sure that I didn’t stop running in the recovery parts to keep the heart rate up and the body warm. I actually managed a better average pace from this session as compared to the initial 5K, go figure.

I hope this won’t be my last coaching session before the end of the year as I really enjoyed tonight. Thanks to all my fellow GWR participants tonight and of course Nic Oughton for all the effort he put in to make sure we maintain our pace and motivation throughout. Just remember the gloves next week Nic!


Big Kev

No comments:

Post a Comment