Sunday 15 September 2013

258/365 Bristol Half marathon pacing 13.1 miles by Big Kev

258/365 Bristol Half marathon pacing 13.1 miles by Big Kev

There is aways something special about a race day and as the Bristol Half marathon is our biggest local run, it brings with it an extra element of excitement. I had prepared well for today, as I was pacing a group of runners at 1:40 and didn't want to let them down. I do love giving something back and pacing is a great way to lift others to new heights and share in their elation as they cross the line.

Today went perfectly to plan, I met with my group of runners and then entered the start pens, said hello to a lot of friendly faces and then set about the task at hand. Along the way I can across another pacer attempting the 1:40:00 target and wished him well on his journey. I had a consist time of 7:30 minute per mile as my guide, knowing that with the twists and turns ahead we where likely to cover a little more distance than needed. There are also 2 climbs in quick succession around castle park (between 11 and 12 miles, nice) that can really sap the legs, so I wanted a little in reserve to cover this off.

The first half is out and back along the Portway and under the Bristol Suspension Bridge, it is relatively flat and open, so it easy to maintain an even pace. The handwork comes as you leave the Portway and then navigate the Cut and up to Prince's Street Bridge. This is always a good point for me as I know Tina and Jess will be there waving and cheering and I always steel a kiss along the way. We then enter the numerous twists and turns and a lot of focus is needed to make sure the pace doesn't drop too much. Before you realise it you are then at the first of the 2 climbs around Castle park and its 2 miles to go. With continued encouragement my group have worked hard and we are bang on target (as we have been from mile one). I tell those that are feeling strong to push on and and go and get their own PB's and then focus on making sure no one gets left behind.

We enter the home straight opposite the Bristol Hippodrome and everyone is working hard, we have kept the pace perfectly and should be in on time. I cross the line in 1:39:20 as a few people in the group had started in front of me and needed a bit of a buffer.

With the line crossed there are a lot of smiles and hugs, as many a new PB has been set. I hand out some of my run365challenge cards and look forward to a new set of followers.

All in all a great day. Time for a shower and lunch with the girls.

www.justgiving.com/kevin-caple

Well done to everyone and all those new PB's, cherish them as its an amazing achievement.

Big Kev





1 comment:

  1. Well done Kevin!!

    Sorry I had to take second take in the pic with the yellow t-shirt cos at first glance it looked like Pace Dick lol

    ReplyDelete