Tuesday 3 September 2013

246/365 AXA 5.5 mile road race by Big Kev

246/365 AXA 5.5 mile road race by Big Kev

What a lovely evening for a run, if a little warm for some, but a lovely evening none the less. I had been invited along to the AXA 5.5 mile road race tonight by Jonathan Goodland. It is primarily a team race, but you can also just come along and run on your own. Being a team event there were lots of chatter and banter from the respective teams both internal and with their perceived competition. The teams are mostly made up of work colleagues, with a sprinkling of overly keen and the less keen (I mean press ganged), as well as the odd ringer! The aim of the evening though was to raise funds for Cancer Research and the initial indication are that a £1,000 has been raised, so all in all a great effort.

By pure coincidence my sister was at the event as she seem to be part of the organising committee for her school who had entered a team. Regardless of the haranguing from her work colleagues thought, she wasn't going to convinced to run with everyone else. On balance this was probably a good choice as the heat made it difficult for everyone regardless of conditioning or ability.

For my own efforts, I can report that even following the comments of the past few days where I have said I might consider taking it easy, I have in fact placed 10th in 35:00.

This running everyday lark must be doing something right!

Once again well done to all of the people in the background that arrange and manage the event and for all the people who support it, from runners to spectators, a thoroughly lovely evening.

www.justgiving.com/kevin-caple

Big Kev

p.s. Tonight blog photo is of my Nieces who are also very supportive, thanks girls.


No comments:

Post a Comment