Tuesday 31 July 2012

Nicky: Days 276 & 277 Thunder Run 24hr event!

Nicky: Day 276 Adidas Thunder Run 24hr by knickerscat at Garmin Connect - Details
Nicky: Day 276 Adidas Thunder Run 24hr cont.... by knickerscat at Garmin Connect - Details
Nicky: Day 277 Adidas Thunder Run 24hr cont..... by knickerscat at Garmin Connect - Details

Well what can I say!! Toughest thing I have done since MdS!
This race attracted 2400 competitors with a further 1200 being turned away due to the event being full!! You can enter as a solo, pair or teams of up to 8. I stupedly entered as a solo! Typical Nicky!!! Had 2 mates also doing it plus Kirstys brother in law & hubbie. Alf & my Dad came along to as team support & boy were they needed.
Event took place at Catton Park in Derbyshire & is on a horse cross country course. Hilly & pretty technical in places. Arrived to the camp site & set up tents right on part of the track. Awesome place  - like being at Glastonbury Festival with all the tents etc. Large screen set up for Olympics viewing too. Enjoyed the opening ceremony.
Race started at 12 noon on Saturday. I had come with 10 circuits as my target. Hmmmm - not easy.
Was taking around 1hr 15 - 1hr 30 p/circuit with between 10-30mins break at our tent for rest & refreshments. Dad & Alf kept the kettle on & the food flowing - needed it too. Very hot & I was averaging 800ml fluid p/circuit. Still was getting dehydrated as started having a problem peeing but felt I needed to all the time. Was stopping 4-5 times p/circuit to try!
At half past midnight I decided to call it a night after 7 circuits. I was tired & mu torch light fading anyway (I did have spare batteries). Found I was starting to trip over the tree roots constantly & my feet were killing.  Got back to tent swearing that 70km was enough & I had no intention of continuing, even after a break. Slept pretty well despite the cheering as runners continued around all thro the night. Got up at 7am feeling pretty refreshed. Had a wipe down to get rid of the mud, fresh kit, different shoes & decided I had time before the noon finish to complete my intended 10 laps.
Hurrah! Made it. Knackered.



Would not do this again as a solo but as a team event? Absolutely.

5 comments:

  1. Well done Nicky, your a star and a very gutsy lady.

    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Pete±! Me thinks that you, Colin, Rob & Neil could make a cracking mens team!!!!! Next year? Great event for the running club as the facilities are fantastic - hot showers, caterers open all night, CLEAN loos & plenty of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Nicky. Takes my midnight double run thingy to the extreme :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous and very inspiring. I think entering as a team would be great fun. Well done - how long does it take to recover from something like that? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just donw the Haselbury 10k trail race & I am exhausted. Felt like I had lead weights on my legs. Think its going to be at least a week.

    ReplyDelete