Tuesday 17 July 2012

Man down

Friends - with a heavy heart I have to announce I've decided to withdraw from the the challenge.

I did a huge amount of thinking after the Saunders re what to do about the three days I missed leading up to it, due to back problems.

Having run some 170 days or so, the prospect of starting over is not something I felt I could put my family through - it would be unfair, given how intrusive it is currently on family life. Also, during Saunders I realised the true impact of running every day was having on my overall fitness...

I've got some other Mountain marathons coming up this year that I want to put a good show in for so I could really benefit from more of a structured training regime that through necessity needs to include rest days.

The challenge is to run every day for 365 days, and I'm not sure it's fair to the challenge, and to you my fellow loonies, for me to simply add a few days on to the end of the challenge. I fear to do so would simply be the thin end of the wedge (for me at least) ("I don't feel like running today therefore I'll just add it on at the end" sort of stuff is not the sort of habit any of us should fall into). So in perhaps a slightly skewed sense of logic, loyalty to you and and large dose of respect for the challenge itself and what you're all continuing to do so admirably inspite of everything, I've decided to stop.

Having said all this, I really look forward to continuing to support you all on this fantastic challenge!!

5 comments:

  1. Aw Ben! Feel for you but totally understand!! We will miss your funny stories but look forward to hearing about future challenges! Is the Flo Mara still a goer? Nxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear this Ben.
    I hope you enjoy your upcoming challenges and embrace them.
    Thanks for you're support and good luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad to hear that your pulling out of the challenge but I fully understand your reasons why.

    Please keep updating with posts of your mountain marathon exploits. Also I look forward to your witty comments on the posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may be new but to reach 170 is no mean feat, good luck in the mountains and enjoy, after all that's what running is about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only just now seen your blog and very sad to see that you have pulled out Rememer to look at rules as telling you what you can do, not what you can't do. We woul still love you to blog your runs over the year and as Nicky says. Hear your great stories. You are a very witty writer!!

    ReplyDelete