Sunday 10 March 2013

Nicky: Day 209 The Grizzly

Untitled by Nicky.C at Garmin Connect - Details

Was sort of looking forward to the race until I saw the weather forecast - rain & snow. The Grizzly is a 20mile isn mainly off road hilly muddy race. I have done it twice before with a previous PB of 4:53. Was hoping for anything under 5 hrs today due to my general fitness level & the soggy boggy muddy conditions that this race was going to have due to the dreadful weather of late.
First .6m is along the pebbly beach which totally saps any strength your legs may have, then followed by a couple of miles of hilly road, a thigh deep river crossing, more pebbles then the trails!  Plentiful & very very muddy. Some of the hills are steep which requires lots of hands on knee pushing followed by fabulous narrow muddy slippery lanes to negotiate - I love these! Have no fear running quickly down them but negotiating the pussy footers is interesting.  Had "the bog of doom" which is thigh deep mud followed by more very slippery hills, another 3/4 mile of pebbly beach hills before the final 2m of hilly roads. I LOVED IT! Finished in 4:05:58 despite the conditions & falling over twice.  Totally surpassed my expectations & I even completed a whole hour ahead of a couple of my running club pals who are usually quicker than me!
I feel great now! Prosecco slipping down easily.

3 comments:

  1. Well done Nicky sounds so much fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Nicky, awesome run considering the conditions to knock 48 mins off PB is something special. Your a star !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're a star too! That's an amazing amount of time to knock off your PB. Amazing. Do you think it's from running every day? :)

    ReplyDelete