Sunday 6 January 2013

A question for you...

Hi guys. I was wondering if you could offer some advice. I have just completed 200 days of the challenge and am feeling pretty good. Fitness feels ok and my 5k times have been falling consistently since I began the challenge. I am now running this distance in the fastest time that I have ever managed it. HOWEVER. I am running the Edinburgh Marathon 2013 and, I am not going to lie, I am terrified. I have completed the distance half a dozen times before and never quite managed sub 3hr. I have been within 5 minutes of the magic 3hrs three times and this year I am desperate to make up that extra few minutes. Do you think it is possible to run a marathon pb whilst participating in this challenge? I have joined a running club and am going to be building up my distance in preparation for the event and my week will now contain a couple of very slow minimum distance runs as an attempt to have some sort of 'rest day'. The main thing that concerns me is fatigue. How have you guys found the effect of the challenge on your longer runs? Have you found your times over the longer distance compared favourably to those same distances when you have not been running every day? Also if everyone has any advice on techniques to help avoid fatigue it would be much appreciated! Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jack, I am no racing snake, but since doing this challenge I have done PBs for all distances, including marathon! Whilst mara training though, on what should be rest days, I stuck with very slow jog/fast walk for the minimum distance - just to give the old legs a bit of a break. Didnt seem to do me any harm.
    I am also doing Edinburgh, so maybe we will get to meet! I unlike you am aiming for a 4:00 time!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I ran west highland way race during this challenge and was suprised how well I did - also got a PB at the half - think you will smoke it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I too have run two marathons since starting the challenge and I also found no problems, and got a PB in Chester so anything is possible. I have done lots of 20 plus runs during my training and found that my times for them have actually improved as well. As you are already a competent runner then increasing the distance as well as doing the challenge should be no problem for you. Good luck with the training.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers guys that is reassuring. No excuses now then! Time to get the miles on the clock...

    ReplyDelete