Thursday 11 October 2012

Day 114/365 I crashed to the ground by robgundry at Garmin Connect - Details

Untitled by robgundry at Garmin Connect - Details
Well it's the first race of the street 5k winter series. A good number of club runners had turned out tonight which proved to be lucky for me.
I started of at a good pace and held it well keeping an eye on my heart rate twice a lap but just before the final corner before the finish I started to feel tightening in my chest so I checked my hr and saw it was 187bpm so I slowed down and dropped my hr to178 bpm but I still felt the pain. As I was getting near to 10 meters to the line I saw Brett start clapping and BANG my ICD had fired a shock to my heart and I can remember seeing Brett before I feel forward onto my right shoulder and I can remember thinking 'oh fuck is this it ' then crash I hit the road from being knocked from the force of the shock. As I rolled onto my back a rather nice lady and Brett and a few others rushed over to me and I said I had a shock from my defibrillator and to call an ambulance, which they did. But then I had a second shock and I was encouraged to breath slowly which lowered my heart rate. This was all happening while the rest of the field were still running . Luckily I'm ok now and I'm still in the challenge.
I would like to thank everybody who helped me from Brett and the club home members from various clubs to the ambulance crew who got me to hospital with the blues and twos on. I'm so glad that I have such good friends and support because with out any of that it wouldn't be much fun.
Before I sign off I want to say as I write this I'm having flashbacks from the shock and hitting the ground and it hasn't changed my mind about running if anything it has driven me more to achieve my goal of completing this challenge.
Thankyou all

5 comments:

  1. Bliddy hell Rob!!
    Scarey stuff!!!
    Not sure whether or not I want to run with you - you are too quick anyway.
    Glad you are going to carry on with 365.
    nx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're ok too. Please take it easy. PBs aren't everything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rob slow down you move too fast !! take it easy for a while, glad your ok see you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. That sounded very bad. I am glad to hear that you are OK. Hope that doesn't happen again!

    ReplyDelete